The origins of the castle site date back to a Slavic Castle. In 1521 the lords of Minckwitz took over the rule of Drehna. They rebuilt the castle after the middle of the century, fortified it with three defensive towers and had the moat moored. In 1697, the family of Promnitz bought the estate, which resulted in a lively building activity. The Baroque west side, which is still preserved today, faces the park. Since 1807, when the then owner of the castle Moritz Count Lynar was raised to the princely state, the place and the castle are called Fürstlich Drehna. In 1877 the rule passed over to the Bremen shipowner family Wätjen.